(718) 766-9007   
        24 Hours / 7 Days 

Information Center

HomeImmigration DefenseAttorney ProfileCriminal DefenseContact UsEn Español PortuguesIn the Media

Sanders L. Denis Esq. 
Family Law 

Child Support Lawyer Queens New York 
Who May File a Petition for Child Support?

The “custodial parent” is the person who has custody of the child. If the “non-custodial parent” does not fulfill his or her financial obligation or is not fulfilling the appropriate financial obligation for the child,. the  custodial parent may file a petition in Family Court asking the court to enter an order to the non-custodial parent demanding that he or she pays the appropriate child support amount.

The “petitioner” is the parent completing the petition and requesting the child support order.
The “respondent” is the parent from whom support is requested.  
The petition must be served upon (delivered to) the respondent, together with a summons indicating the date of the court hearing.
There are no filing fees in Family Court.

Until what age is a child entitled to child support in New York State?

A child is entitled to be supported by his or her parents until the age of 21. However, if the child is under 21 years of age, and is married, or self-supporting, or in the military, the child is considered to be "emancipated" and the parents' support obligation ends.

A child may also be considered "emancipated" if he or she is between 17 and 21, leaves the parents' home and refuses to obey the parents' reasonable commands.

​Call Us Today  718-766-9007  (24/7)

The information on this website is for advertising purpose only. Attorney Advertising. Nothing on this website and or associated pages, documents, comments, videos, answers or emails or other form of communication should be taken as legal advice for an individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipts or viewing of this information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Visitors (viewers of this information) seeking specific advice for their individual case are urges to conduct a personal consultation with a qualified attorney.
Español, Portugues & Créole

Contact Us
24 Hours / 7 Days​

80-05 Roosevelt Avenue
2nd Floor, Suite 200
Jackson Heights, NY 11372


​Spring Valley, NY Address:
25 South Main Street, 2nd Fl. Suite "C"
Spring Valley, NY 10977

(845) 694-0222

Email Us
24 Hours Hotline (718) 766-9007 
Immigration/Deportation All States & NY Criminal Arrest & Arraignments ​